- Canola oil
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup smooth salsa or hot sauce
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 chipotles chiles in adobo, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano chile, rib and seeds removed, diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, divided
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup cubed queso fresco cheese
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Fill a cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet with a 1/4-inch of canola oil, and warm over medium-high heat.
Add tortilla strips to pan, and fry until golden, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels.
In a large bowl, toss fried tortilla strips with salsa or hot sauce until well combined. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of remaining oil in the pan, and discard.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, crème fraîche, salt and pepper with fork until just combined.
Pour egg mixture into the skillet, add chiles, 1 tablespoon of cilantro and half of the scallions. Let excess sauce drip off tortilla strips, and add to egg mixture.
Evenly distribute cheese on top of the frittata. Bake in oven until completely set, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Finish by garnishing with remaining cilantro and scallions, as well as extra hot sauce. Serve hot or at room temperature.