Yield: 4 servings
Zest Factor: Medium
Adapted from the November 2009 issue of Chile Pepper magazine.
Sausage and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
About This Recipe
|This recipe appears in:||All the Holiday Recipes You Need Serious Heat: How Do You Stuff Your Peppers?|
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 links hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 to 6 Calabrian peppers in olive oil, or 2 chipotles in adobe, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 small bell peppers, halved, seeded and stemmed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a small bowl, combine half the bread crumbs, half the pecorino, 1/2 tablespoon parsley and 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Set aside until needed.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Remove the sausage from its casing, and stirring occasionally, cook in the pan until browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and 2 tablespoons of water; stir to combine.
Take off the heat, and add the Calabrian peppers, raisins, pine nuts, remaining parsley, remaining pecorino and remaining bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the bell peppers, cut side up, in a baking dish. Evenly divide the sausage mixture to fill each bell pepper half. Top with bread crumb mixture.
Place in the oven, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the peppers from the oven, and if desired, drizzle a little extra oil of oil from the jar of Calabrian peppers. Serve hot.