Brought to the Serious Eats Cookie Swap 2009 by Serious Eats intern alum Gordon Mark.
Adapted from the back of a Quaker Oats package.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
Heat oven to 375°F. Beat together margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; heat well.
Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts; mix well.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12 to 13 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container.