Chewy Ginger Cookies with Cardamom and Black Pepper
About This Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower oil)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar, for rolling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa, cardamom, and pepper.
In a large bowl, beat together sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in egg, grated fresh ginger, and molasses until smooth. Fold in the flour mixture until well combined, then add in candied ginger.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in coarse sugar if desired and place on baking sheet. Bake 6 to 7 minutes until just set.
Let cookies cool for 3-5 minutes on cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack until cool.