Beef Carbonade with Herbs
About This Recipe
|This recipe appears in:||Q&A with Clotilde Dusoulier of Chocolate & Zucchini on 'I Know How to Cook'|
- 2 1/4 pounds chuck, blade or fore rib of beef, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Scant 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Generous 2 cups any stock, hot
- 2 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 sprigs of tarragon, chopped
- 2 springs of chevril, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- Salt and pepper
- Generous 3/4 cup beer
- 2 ounces gherkin, sliced
Roll the beef in the flour. Melt hte butter in a heavy pan, add the beef in batches and brown it on all sides.
Pour in the hot stock and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits.
Add the parsley, tarragon, chevril and onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook gently, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.