Adapted from The Big Book of Thai Curries by Vatcharin Bhumichitr.
- Approximately 20 green bird's eye chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons galangal, finely chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 1 thin slice kaffir lime peel, about 1 1/2 inches by and 1/2 inches, finely chopped
- 4 cilantro roots, chopped, or 12 cilantro stalks with some leaves attached
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
Cut off the stems of the chilies and chop them coarsely.
Place all of the ingredients in a blender or a food processor. Purée, adding a few tablespoons of water if needed to get the mixture properly blended. Pause to push down the ingredients with a spatula. Use immediately or freeze in plastic bags.