Autumn Celeriac (Celery Root) Puree
About This Recipe
- 1 medium celeriac (about 1.25 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small Idaho potato (about 6 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place the celeriac and potatoes in a large pot of salted, cold water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then add the apple. Continue to cook until all are tender, another 10 to 12 minutes.
While vegetables are cooking, heat the cream, butter, and bay leaf in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Drain the cooked vegetables and apple and return them to the hot, dry pot. Stir them over low heat for 2 minutes until they are dry. Pass ingredients through a food mill into a large bowl. Gently stir in the hot cream and butter mixture until smooth (remove the bay leaf). Alternatively, you can puree the vegetables and apple together with the cream and butter mixture in a food processor. Season puree with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm.