This recipe appears in:The Food Lab: Animal Fat Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup rendered duck fat, melted
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, grated on microplane grater or pressed through garlic press
- 1 teaspoon red Thai curry paste
- 1 tablespoon water, plus more to correct consistency
- lime juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Combine duck fat and canola oil in 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Whisk to combine.
Add egg yolks, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise garlic, curry paste, and water to bowl of food processor. Run processor for 5 seconds to combine. Scrape down sides of processor bowl with rubber spatula. With processor running, slowly drizzle fat into bowl in a thin, steady stream, stopping and scraping down sides as necessary. Add lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste, and adjust consistency with water until thick, smooth, and creamy, but not mouth-coatingly waxy. Stir in cilantro. Store in refrigerator in air-tight container for up to two weeks.