- 4 quarts water
- 6 whole chicken leg-thigh quarters
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into 2-inch chunks
- 2 whole carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 parsnip, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 1 pound escarole, chopped
- Matzo balls
Bring the water to a boil in a soup pot. Add the chicken, return to the boil, skimming off the foam that accumulates at the top. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 hours, uncovered.
After 2 hours, add the celery, carrots, onion, parsnip, dill, and parsley. Continue cooking slowly, uncovered, for another hour.
Set a strainer over a large bowl and strain the soup. Season it to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the soup, covered, overnight.