This recipe appears in:This Week in Recipes
- 1 medium onion, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 2 big potatoes (about 1 pound), quartered and very thinly sliced
- 2 to 4 ounces dried Spanish chorizo, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the onions, potatoes, chorizo, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a large oven-proof skillet (cast iron is best). Cover with aluminum foil; bake 40 minutes, stirring contents of pan halfway through cooking. Transfer mixture to a glass bowl; allow to it cool for 30 minutes to an hour.
Add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet; place it over medium heat. Pour the eggs over the potato mixture, mixing gently with a rubber spatula; add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and several grinds of black pepper. When pan is hot, pour mixture into the oil and cook, undisturbed, for 8 to 10 minutes or until you see the eggs setting up at the edges of the skillet.