What is a cheese strata? Well, I found and adapted this recipe in the classic American Century Bookbook, so I'll let the terrifically talented author Jean Anderson describe it for you: "buttered slices of bread layered into a casserole with grated cheddar and topped with beaten eggs and milk." Need I say more?
- 6 slices firm-textured white bread
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 3 cups coarsely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper (cayenne)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Spread each slice of bread with butter on one side, then quarter the slices. Layer bread and cheese alternately in ungreased 2-to 2 1/2 quart casserole, beginning with bread and ending with cheese.
Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne and pour evenly over bread mixture.
Bake uncovered, until set like custard-40 to 45 minutes.