Over the past few years grilled vegetables have become a barbecue staple. Bell peppers, onions, artichokes, tomatoes and eggplant, charred and tossed with some olive oil, salt and pepper are becoming rivals to classic summer sides like potato salad cole slaw. They are quick, easy and pretty healthy but is it just me or are they a little, well, boring?
This recipe for Artichokes Basted with Anchovy Butter from Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue takes already delicious grilled summer artichokes a step further with the addition of anchovy garlic butter. Not everyone loves anchovies but they are excellent for adding a super savory depth of flavor and the end result is not at all fishy.
Win Serious Barbecue
As always with our Cook the Book feature, we have five (5) copies of Serious Barbecue to give away this week.
- For the seasoned butter:
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 salted anchovy fillets, rinsed, and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, halved, germ removed, and grated on a Microplane grater
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the artichokes:
- 8 medium globe artichokes, 10 to 12 ounces each
- 3 to 4 lemons, halved and seeds removed
- Kosher salt, for salting the water
- About 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- About 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Fleur de sel
Preheat all grates of a well-oiled gas or charcoal grill to high.
Combine all of the butter ingredients together and set aside
Carefully remove the pan from the grill. Using a spoon, scoop the fuzzy choke from each of the halves. Transfer the cleaned halves to a new sheet pan. Using your hands or a brush, evenly, but lightly, coat both sides of the artichokes with canola oil.
Place the artichokes, cut side down, on the grate and grill until well marked and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and repeat on the second side, grilling for 2 to 3 minutes. While still cut side up, place about 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in each of the cavities and allow it to melt. Squeeze lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with parsley and fleur de sel.
Remove the artichokes from grill and arrange on a serving platter.