- 2 or so pounds biala kielbasa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat (I like a combination of unsalted butter and grapeseed oil)
- 3/4 cup water, wine, or beer (I used Żywiec Porter)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat
- 1 pound fresh pierogi, about 12
- 1 cup sauteed onions, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons ketchup*
- 1/2 cup water or low-salt chicken stock
- 5 juniper berries
Prick sausage all over with a fork.
Heat fat over medium heat; add sausage.
Brown on both sides, about four minutes per side.
Add liquid and cover. Cook until interior temperature reaches 160°F, 20 minutes or so.
Remove lid and cook down remaininng liquid until sausage is lightly glazed, about 5 minutes. (Skip this step if using water.)
Serve with pierogi and sauerkraut.
Heat fat in saute pan over medium heat.
Add pierogi, and cook until crisp and slightly blistered in appearance, about 4 minutes.
Turn pierogi, add 1/2 cup water.
Cook at a simmer until water is cooked off and pierogi crisps in remaining fat, 6 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully during the final few minutes!
Serve with sauteed onions and sour cream, if desired.
Combine all and cook over medium heat, until water is absorbed and sauerkraut is tender. Serve.
*Inauthentic but good!