The Mesa Grill Burger, from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook, is a cheeseburger with a flavor boost. Extra cheddar cheese, sweet and crunchy Vidalia onions, and a horseradish mustard all make for good accompaniments. Flay advises to be sure not to overcook the grilled onion and to use ground chuck no leaner than 80 percent. Fat is your friend!
The Mesa Grill Burger
About This Recipe
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese (each 1/4 inch thick), preferably a mix of white and yellow
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 4 slices beefsteak tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
Whisk together the mustard and horseradish in a small bowl; set aside.
Preheat the grill to high or a grill pan over high heat.
Brush the onion slices with the oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onion slices for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until lightly golden brown.
While the onion is grilling, form the meat into 4 burgers. Season the burgers on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium. Add 2 slices of the cheese to the top of each burger, cover the grill, and let melt, about 1 minute.
Place the burgers on the buns sandwiched with onion, tomato, lettuce, and a dollop of horseradish mustard.