Serious bacon lovers know that if bacon had a team in the NFL, it would most certainly be in the Super Bowl. So if you're having people over for the big game, or even if you're watching with immediate family, or hell, even if you're watching the game by yourself, you know that you want dips and chips and other finger food at your side.
The best source for seriously delicious bacon-centric finger foods and dips is James Villas' incomparable
Bacon Cookbook,. So we're going to feature recipes adapted from Vilas' book every day leading up to the big game.
Today, a classic: bacon, cream cheese, and horseradish dip.
Bacon, Cream Cheese, and Horseradish Dip
Super Bowl Snacks: Bacon, Cream Cheese, and Horseradish Dip
About This Recipe
- 6 thick slices lean hickory-smoked bacon
- Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chips or crackers of your choice strong enough to stand up to this dip.
- 1/4 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Plenty of kosher salt
In a large skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat till almost crisp, drain on paper towels, and crumble finely.
In a bowl, blend the cream cheese and half-and-half till smooth, add the bacon and remaining ingredients except crackers, and mix till well blended. Cover the dip and let stand about 1 hour before serving with crackers.