Serious bacon lovers know that if bacon had a team in the NFL, it would most certainly be in the Super Bowl. So if you're having people over for the big game, or even if you're watching with immediate family, or hell, even if you're watching the game by yourself, you know that you want dips and chips and other finger food at your side.
The best source for seriously delicious bacon-centric finger foods and dips is James Villas' incomparable
Bacon Cookbook,. So we're going to feature recipes adapted from Vilas' book every day leading up to the big game.
Today, chunky guacamole and bacon canapes.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions (white parts only)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 small chile pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices lean slab bacon
- 12 thin slices pumpernickel bread, crusts removed
- Softened butter for spreading
In a bowl, mash the avocado with a wooden spoon till lumpy, add the tomato, scallions, coriander, chile pepper, lime juice, and salt and pepper, and mix till well blended. Cover the guacamole with plastic wrap and chill briefly.
In a large skille, fry the bacon over moderate heat until almost crisp, drain on paper towels, and crumble. Add the bacon to the guacamole and stir till well blended.
Lightly butter the bread slices, spread the guacamole equally on the slices, and cut into thirds.