Spicy Hummus Dip with Grilled Pita and Vegetables
About This Recipe
- 3 cups cooked or canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves roasted garlic (See Note 1)
- 1 chipotle pepper, canned in adobo
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 pita breads
- Olive oil for brushing the pita
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into eights
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into eights
- 1 purple bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into eights
Place the chick-peas, garlic, chipotle, cumin, honey, lemon juice, and tahini in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper. May be refrigerated for 1 day; serve at room temperature. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Note: To oven-roast a head of garlic, first cut off the top. Rub the garlic with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, wrap it in foil, and place it on a baking sheet. Roast at 300°F until soft, about 45 minutes.
Grilled Pita and Vegetables
Brush the pita with oil on both sides and toast until golden brown. Serve the Spicy Hummus Dip in a bowl surrounded by the pita and wedges.