- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 2/3 cup minced green onions
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Bring 1 cup water, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat; mix in flour. Stir over medium heat until mixture becomes slightly shiny and pulls away from sides of pan, about 3 minutes. Transfer to stand mixer fitted with paddle. Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition to form sticky dough. Mix in cheese and green onions.
Using 2 teaspoons, form dough into 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch ovals; drop onto baking sheet 1 inch apart. (Can be made ahead. Wrap in plastic, then foil. Refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake cheese puffs until golden, about 30 minutes if at room temperature and 35 minutes if chilled or frozen. Serve immediately.