Author's Note: I got the cheeses for this recipe at Alleva Dairy, which you can read about on Serious Eats: New York.
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 generous cup ricotta (about 1 pound, or a little less)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1/4 pound unsalted fresh mozzarella, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of salt
- Several generous grinds black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup prepared marina or other tomato sauce, divided
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare filling by mixing the spinach, nuts, ricotta, 3/4 cup Parmesan, mozzarella, garlic, and spices in a largish bowl.
Spread 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9" baking dish.
Fill each of the shells with cheese mixture, and place atop the sauce.
Sprinkle shells with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, and drizzle with remaining sauce.
Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes or so, the shells will be mouth-searingly hot.
*I like my shells superstuffed, so I use only 12 shells. If the filling is used more sparingly, it can fill up to 16 shells.