- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1/4 pound pancetta, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chiles
- 2 pounds manila clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound linguine
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
Bring 6 quarts water to boil; add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a large sauté pan, heat oil until just smoking; sauté red onion, pancetta, and garlic over medium heat until onion is very soft and pancetta is translucent (about 10 minutes).
Add hot chiles, clams, white wine, and butter; bring to a boil. Cook until all clams have opened, then set aside.
Boil linguine according to package instructions. When just short of al dente, drain in colander over sink; toss into pan with clams, and stir gently to mix. This should still be a little brothlike.
Add chopped parsley, pour into warm serving bowl.