Today's recipe (or non-recipe) goes out to the frazzled cooks already overseeing a turkey, six sides, and the tricky business of wine pairing. I doubt that Ina Garten, author of this week's Cook the Book selection, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, would use the word "hacks," but that's just what these ten no-cook desserts are.
Composed from store-bought items, these sweet courses can be as elegant as the host or hostess chooses to present them.
Win 'Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics'
In addition to excerpting a recipe each day this week, we're giving away five (5) copies of Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics. Enter to win here »
10 No-Cook Things To Serve For Dessert
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten
1. Vanilla ice cream drizzled with saba (substitute a good balsamic vinegar, lightly reduced)
2. Fresh pears, English Stilton, and aged port wine
3. Vanilla ice cream mixed with chopped crystallized ginger and store-bought almond biscotti
4. Store-bought brownies, coffee ice cream, and chocolate sauce
5. Store-bought pound cake toasted and drizzled with honey and fresh raspberries
6. Clementines, dates, good chocolates, and demi-sec champagne
7. Passion fruit sorbet and vanilla ice cream with Grey Goose vodka poured on top
8. Strawberries macerated with sugar and good balsamic vinegar
9. Store-bought chocolate cake with melted vanilla ice cream as a sauce and fresh raspberries
10. Macoun apples, English cheddar, and store-bought ginger cookies