When we talked to Gourmet editor in chief Ruth Reichl about the November 2008 issue of the magazine, we asked her what her favorite Thanksgiving recipes from the issue were. This is one of them. Read our interview.
More of Ruth Reichl's favorite recipes from the November 2008 issue of Gourmet:
- 4 ripe avocados (2 lb total)
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 fresh serrano chiles, finely chopped (2 Tbsp), including seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)
- 3/4 cup diced peeled mango
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Halve, pit, and peel avocados. Coarsely mash in a bowl. Stir in onions, chiles, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 1 1/4 tsp salt, then fold in pomegranate seeds, mango, and cilantro. Season with salt and additional lime juice.
Guacamole can be made 4 hours ahead and chilled, its surface covered with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Bring to room temperature and stir before serving.