This recipe appears in:This Week in Recipes The Farm on Adderley's Chilled Pea Soup with Maine Crab Salad
- 3 cups fresh, shelled English peas
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 8 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup white soy sauce (use a scant 1/4 cup of regular soy sauce if you can’t find white)
- Crab Salad
- 8 ounces Peekytoe crab meat (or other fresh crab meat)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To prepare the soup, blanch the peas in a large pot of boiling water for about two minutes. Immediately shock them in cold water. Drain and set aside.
In a medium sautée pan over medium heat, sweat the onion in four tablespoons of the canola oil.
Combine the peas and the onions in a blender. Add 3/4 cup water and the soy sauce. Blend until combined. With blender still running, slowly add the remaining four tablespoons of canola oil. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If soup thickens, stir in a little extra water to loosen.
To prepare the crab salad, in a medium bowl, stir together the crab, garlic, lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, mayonnaise, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the soup in large bowls, garnished with a heaping spoonful of crab salad in the center.