Win 'Summer on a Plate'
We're giving away five (5) copies of Anna's book. Enter for a chance to win here.
Shrimp Cakes with Herb Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots (3 large)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/4 cup finely chopped curly parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 6 tablespoons clarified butter, for frying
- For the herb mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped curly parsley
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Sauté the shallots and celery until the vegetables appear glossy. Set aside to cool.
Place the shrimp in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse three times to chop the shrimp a bit. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the parsley, dill, salt, cayenne, mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs.
In a separate deep, wide bowl, combine the remaining cup of the bread crumbs with the almonds. Set it aside.
Knead the shrimp mixture to thoroughly blend all the ingredients. With your hands, shape into 12 balls. Roll each ball in the bread crumb-almond mixture. Coat completely. With your palms, flatten the balls into disks.
Using a grill or stovetop at high heat, sauté the shrimp cakes with clarified butter in a large skillet for 10 to 12 minutes total, until the cakes are crispy and just cooked.
To make the herb mayonnaise, purée the chives, dill, parsley, milk, and lime juice until smooth. Fold in the salt, sugar, hot sauce, and mayonnaise. Stir well and serve with the shrimp cakes.