Flaky Pie Crust
About This Recipe
- For one 9 or 10-inch single crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice-cold heavy cream or evaporated milk, more or less as needed
- For one 9-inch double crust, or one 9-inch deep-dish single crust:
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of ice-cold heavy cream or evaporated milk, more or less as needed
Sift the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium to large size bowl. Using a pastry blender, a big fork, or your fingers, cut in or pinch the shortening until the mixture resembles a bowl of sweet peas. Tossing the mixture quickly and lightly with a fork, sprinkle in the cream or milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue tossing until the dough holds together when lightly pressed.
With lightly floured hands, loosely gather up the dough into a flat ball, place it in a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until you are ready to roll out the crust, at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.