The following recipe is from the July 30th edition of our weekly recipe newsletter. To receive this newsletter in your inbox, sign up here!
Susan Howell's banana coconut tarts are great for a crowd. The recipe yields twelve tarts, and can be prepared in a mini tart or muffin tin. Plus, the rich, tropical flavors are perfect for late summer celebrations.
- Yield:twelve 3- to 4-inch tarts
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- Dough for one 9-inch Single Flaky Pie Crust
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the egg, milk, and banana until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the coconut.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough until 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into 12 circles about 1 inch larger than the mini tart pans. Line the pans with the circles of dough and trim the edges so that they are even with the top of the pan.