Thick-Sliced Onions With Lemon Thyme
About This Recipe
|This recipe appears in:||Menu: Father's Day Grillfest|
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon thyme
- 2 pounds medium to large red onions
- About 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
Brush on both sides with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Place the onions on the hottest part of the grill and cook, unmoved, for 4 to 5 minutes, until just charred on the first side. Turn and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, or until softened and lightly charred on the second side. Transfer to a baking sheet or platter and remove the toothpicks if you used them, then carefully stack the onion slices—like pancakes—on a serving platter.
5. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil into the vinegar mixture and drizzle it over the onions. Serve warm or at room temperature.