- 2 pounds new potatoes (16 to 20 small)
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon puréed canned chipotles. (To make chipotle purée, process canned chipotles in a blender or a food processor, along with a little of their liquid.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 green onions (white bulb and 3 inches of green), finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat, boil the potatoes until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and slice 1/2 inch thick.
In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, chipotle puree, lime juice, green and red onions, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
Place the warm potatoes in a large bowl and pour the mixture over them. Mix well and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.