About This Recipe
|Yield:||16 pieces, 10 or more portions|
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
- 1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 heard of garlic, peeled and finely puréed
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 chickens (2 1/2 pounds each), quartered
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley or fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Combine the olive oil, vinegar, prunes, olives, capers and juice, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Arrange the chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon the marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the brown sugar and pour the white wine around them.
Bake, basting frequently with the pan juices, until the thigh pieces yield clear yellow (not pink) juice when pricked with a fork, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of the pan juices and sprinkle generously with the parsley or cilantro. Pass the remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.