- Yield:6 to 8
- 4 whole chicken legs, with legs and thighs separated (4 1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
Rinse and pat dry the chicken legs and thighs. Divide them between two large resealable plastic bags or shallow glass or ceramic dishes.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Divide the marinade between the bags or dishes. Seal the bags or cover the dishes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours, letting the chicken come to room temperature before grilling.
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill: Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. Light the coals or heating elements, and let them burn or heat until moderately hot.
Lift the chicken from the dish, allowing the excess marinade to drip off. Discard the marinade.