- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 pound ground chuck
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 kaiser-style rolls
- 4 slices sharp cheddar or pepper jack
- 3 tablespoons
- Secret Sauce (4 parts mayonnaise and 1 part red relish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 8 crisp dill pickle chips
- 1 cup chopped iceberg lettuce, patted dry and chilled
- 4 slices beefsteak tomatoes
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crisp.
Form the ground beef into 4 flat patties of equal size, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Grill the burgers, flipping once, until cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.
Butter the bottoms of the hamburger buns and, 1 minute before the burgers are done, toast both halves of the buns on the grill.
While the burgers are still on the grill, top each patty with a slice of cheese and a slice of bacon. Quickly remove the burgers from the grill and assemble as follows:
Dill pickle chips
Beef patty with cheese and bacon