About This Recipe
- 6 medium beets
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- Garnishes: boiled potatoes, peeled and cubed; chopped fresh dill; cucumber, skin on, cubed; hard-boiled eggs; sour cream
Wash unpeeled beets. Wrap in aluminum foil and put on a baking sheet; roast in a preheated 350°F oven until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Cool, peel, and grate.
Sauté the onions and carrots in the butter for 10 minutes. Add the beets, sugar, and broth. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree in a food processor or food mill. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Chill.
Stir sour cream into soup and serve with bowls of garnish.