This recipe appears in:Sweet Melissa Creamerie: Where Philly Visits Brooklyn Photo of the Day: Cherry Crumb Pie on Notebook Paper Plate
Today's Cook the Book recipe, adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book, is one that Melissa Murphy says is her favorite--Sour Cherry Pie with Pistachio Crumble. Developed by her friend and one-time pasty chef at Sweet Melissa Patisserie, it's also one of the most popular pies at the shop.
Win 'The Sweet Melissa Baking Book'
As is always the case with our Cook the Books, we're giving away a number of them. Enter to win here »
- For the pie crust:
- 1/2 recipe Flaky Pie Dough
- For the pistachio crumble:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole oats, ground to a flour in a food processor (yielding 1/2 cup oat flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shelled unsalted whole pistachios, coarsely ground in a food processor or chopped medium fine by hand
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- For the sour cherry filling:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh sour cherries, pitted, or 2 pounds frozen sour cherries, partially thawed
To prepare the pie crust
Roll out the pie dough into a round 14 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Gently fit into a 10-inch pie plate. Fold the edges under and crimp. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
To make the pistachio crumble:
In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pistachios.
Stir in the melted butter and mix gently to combine.
Place a rack in the bottom third of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
To make the cherry filling
in a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
In a medium bowl, place the cherries and sprinkle the flour mixture over the top; mix gently to combine. (If you are using fresh cherries, the natural sweetness can vary. Taste the mixture to see if you need more sugar than is called for.)
Pour the cherries into the unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle the pistachio crumble evenly over the top of the cherries.
Place the pie plate on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and thick. Remove to a rack to cool to room temperature before serving.