Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients in today's Cook the Book recipe for Grilled Lamb with Salsa Verde, excerpted from the soon-to-be-released Oprah Magazine Cookbook. The lamb marinade is best prepared the night before, and in a pinch, the salsa verde can be made ahead, too. Plus, all those fresh herbs—rosemary, marjoram, tyme, mint, and parsley—lend phenomenal flavor. Not to mention the capers, anchovies, and feta cheese. What better way to celebrate a warm spring evening than with a backyard dinner of tender skewered lamb?
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped, tightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 anchovy fillet, mashed
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram or oregano leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 rosemary branches, leaves removed, or metal skewers
- 1 head radicchio, leaves separated and torn into large pieces
Press 3 1/2 garlic cloves in a garlic press. In a large bowl, combine pressed garlic, lamb, rosemary, 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, and cracked pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
To make the salsa verde: Press the remaining 1/2 garlic clove in garlic press. In a medium bowl, combine pressed garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, parsley, mint, feta, 4 teaspoons lemon juice, capers, anchovy, marjoram, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Prepare grill. Skewer lamb on rosemary branches or metal skewers; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Grill lamb 10 to 12 minutes for medium-rare, or until desired doneness.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss radicchio with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, scatter over a platter.
Place lamb over radicchio, and spoon salsa verde over top.