- 4 skewers, soaked in water 8 hours
- 8 quail, boneless
- 4 pieces pancetta, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 cups water
- 10 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/2 cup Asiago, freshly grated
Check quail for bones or feathers; place in mixing bowl. Add pancetta, vinegar, olive oil, honey, and black pepper; toss to coat. Set aside and preheat grill.
In a 3-quart saucepan, place onion, water, and sage and bring to a boil. Thread one quail, followed by one piece of pancetta, followed by one quail on each of four skewers; place on hottest part of grill. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until just pink at the leg bones.
Meanwhile, pour polenta slowly in a thin stream into boiling water, until all is incorporated and polenta thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Switch to a wooden spoon, add Asiago, and cook 1 minute more, until as thick as paste. Remove from heat; pour on to a service-ready cutting board. Pile skewers on top of polenta, and serve.