- Yield:8 to 10
- 1 seven-pound whole salmon, scaled, cleaned and gutted
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 lemons, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub the salmon with a little olive oil; season inside and out with salt and pepper.
Toss the fennel, tomatoes, parsley, and lemon together with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Stuff salmon with as much of this mixture as will fit, pile the rest of it in a roasting pan; sit salmon on top of it.
Drizzle salmon with some more olive oil; sprinkle with the fennel seeds, and bake 45 minutes. Allow salmon to rest 10 minutes before serving. Eat with a few spoonfuls of the juicy lemony fennel and tomatoes cooked underneath the fish.