- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup very finely minced peeled ginger
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces (or milk chocolate chips)
- Whipped cream or crème fraîche (optional)
- 9-inch square or 9-inch round pan, lined with parchment paper or greased
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and soda. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, and honey. Whisk in the egg and ginger. In a saucepan, heat butter and 1/2 cup water until butter is melted. Whisk the hot mixture into honey mixture. Add flour mixture; stir until smooth. Stir in milk chocolate. Scrape batter into pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for a square cake, a little longer for a round one. Cool cake on a rack. Invert cake, remove pan, peel off paper liner. Serve right side up warm or at room temperature.
Note: Try adding some whipped cream or crème fraîche.