This recipe appears in:Last-Minute Cinco de Mayo Recipes
The following Green Papaya Salsa is adapted from The Culinary Institute of America's Techniques of Healthy Cooking, which is Serious Eats' featured cookbook for the week of January 14, 2008. You may serve this sauce with Jerk Chicken, Black Bean Sauce, and plantain chips.
Green Papaya Salsa
- yields 1 pound, 14 ounces (850 grams) -
- 1 1/4 pounds (565 grams) diced peeled green papaya
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) diced Vidalia onion
- 1/2 ounce (14 grams) minced jalapeño
- 1 3/4 fluid ounces (53 mL) fresh orange juice
- 3/4 fluid ounce (20 mL) fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
Combine the papaya, tomaotes, onion, jalapeño, and orange and lime juices in a large skillet. Gently warm over medium heat. When the relish is warm, remove from heat; add cilantro, mint, and salt.