- 4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths (whites and greens)
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each: watercress, flat-leaf parsley, mint leaves, and cilantro leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
- 4 to 5 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 lightly toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Squeezable wedges of lemon
Pile all the scallions and green herbs into the food processor and pulverize almost to a paste.
Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat. After about a minute, add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the garlic and sauté by itself for just a minute, then add the processed herbs and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
Add the rice, mixing it in with a fork until the green mixture is uniformly distributed. Stir in the salt and serve hot or warm, topped with pine nuts, if desired, and accompanied by a squeezable wedge of fresh lemon. Remind people to use it!