Healthy and Delicious Black Bean Chili
- yields 2 quarts -
Cook the Book: Healthy and Delicious Black Bean Chili
About This Recipe
- 1/2 fluid ounce (15 mL) olive oil
- 12 ounces (340 grams) diced onions
- 1/2 ounce (14 grams) minced garlic
- 4 ounces (115 grams) diced celery
- 5 ounces (140 grams) diced red peppers
- 4 ounces (115 grams) diced green peppers
- 1 minced jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) cumin seeds, toated and ground
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 pound (450 grams) cooked black beans
- 2 pounds (910 grams) tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 ounce (14 grams) Mexican chocolate
- 1/2 ounce (14 grams) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground pepper
Heat the oil in a large sauce pot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the celery and sweat 1 minute. Add the peppers and jalapeño. Sauté until very hot, about 2 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon; sauté until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
Add the beans and tomatoes. Simmer until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have developed, about 20 minutes.
Just before serving, season the chili by adding the chocolate, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
Try serving with a brown rice pilaf, tomato salsa, and baked tortilla chips.