- Yield:6 servings
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 3 (1/2-inch-thick) slices good-quality white sandwich bread such as a pullman loaf, crusts discarded
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Equipment: 6 (4- to 5-inch-wide) scallop shells or 5-oz shallow ramekins
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Cook onion in butter in a small heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Tear bread into very small pieces, then spread in 1 layer in a shallow dish or pie plate. Pour onion and butter mixture over torn bread and let stand 15 minutes.
Add crab, egg, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and gently toss.
Divide mixture among shells and bake until crab is just starting to brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.