Linguine With Clams, Hot Chiles, and Pancetta (or Mole Salame)
About This Recipe
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely minced
- 1/4 pound pancetta, cut into 1/8th inch dice (or mole salame)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chiles
- 1 pound Manila clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped, to yield 1/4 cup
Bring six quarts of water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a large sauté pan, sauté red onion, pancetta, and garlic over medium heat until onion is very soft and pancetta is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add hot chiles, clams, white wine, and butter and bring to a boil. Cook until all clams have opened, and then set aside.
Boil linguine according to package instructions. While softened but still firm, drain in colander over sink and toss into plan with clams and stir gently to mix. This should still be a little brothlike. Add chopped parsley, pour into warm serving bowl and serve.