- Yield:about 30 cookies
- 4 slices German Speck or double-smoked slab bacon (rind removed), finely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving the fat.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, butter, the whole egg, cream, and pepper; beat with an electric mixer until the dough is well blended. Transfer to a floured surface, add the bacon, and knead until dough is soft and bacon evenly distributed, about 1 minute. Roll out dough into one or two logs about 1 1/2 inches thick, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet with a little of the bacon fat, and set aside.
On a work surface, cut the log into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet, brush with the beaten egg yolk, and bake until the cookies are browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.