- Yield:3 quarts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 26 1/2-ounce boxes vacuum-packed crushed tomatoes, or 10 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 5 1/4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium store-bought chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock, and oregano; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer gently, uncovered, until thickened, about 45 minutes. Remove the oregano sprigs.
Slowly add the half-and-half, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with oregano. Serve hot.