Turkey Strudel with Spices and Quinoa
- Serves 12 (2 strudels 6 servings each) -
Turkey Strudel With Spices and Quinoa
About This Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, diced to 1/4 inch
- 1/4 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (pinon, pignoli)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat olive oil in sauté pan and cook onions, peppers, and mushrooms till softening. Remove from pan and set aside in bowl. Add turkey to pan and cook, stirring, till just starting to brown.
Add turkey to onion-pepper-mushroom mix along with ginger, parsley, pine nuts, thyme, quinoa, salt and pepper. Stir gently to blend.
Keeping the phyllo dough under a slightly damp kitchen towel, layer the first eight sheets one by one brushing with butter and sprinkling with breadcrumbs lightly between each sheet.
Fill the center of the layered phyllo with half of the turkey-quinoa mixture leaving ends with enough space to fold over. Fold each end over then roll up strudel jelly-roll style. Brush top with butter. Repeat for second strudel.
Put on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes – check for browning as all ovens are not temperature-accurate. Remove when golden then let sit four or five minutes (or longer – this can be served room temp) slice gently with serrated knife and serve.
Thanks to Rebecca Wood and The Splendid Grain for the inspiration for this dish.