This recipe appears in:Healthy Thanksgiving Menu
- 1 pound beets, trimmed, peeled, and grated
- 1/2 cup packed pitted dates or dried plums (prunes)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 inch peeled ginger, cut into coins
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup boiling red wine or water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or other mustard
- Cayenne or hot red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- A little all-purpose flour, if needed, for binding
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or butter
Combine the beets, dates, almonds, and ginger in a food processor and pulse several times until everything is well chopped but not quite a paste.
Shape the mixture into 4 to 6 patties. Put the oil or butter in a skillet with a lid over medium heat. When the oil is hot or the butter is melted, carefully slip the burggers into the pan. Cook, undisturbed for 5 minutes or so, until nicely browned on the bottom; carefully flip the burger, cover, and cook the other side for 5 minutes.