This easy water chestnuts, sugar snap peas, and shiitakes recipe by Jean-Georges Vongerichten combines the textures of crunchy water chestnut and snap peas with soft shiitake mushrooms and is simply flavored with ginger, soy sauce, and salt. Serve it as a side a meaty entrée or as a vegetarian friendly dish accompanied by a steaming bowl of rice.
- 3 tablespoons grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
- 6 fresh small shiitake mushrooms, trimmed
- 4 wood ear mushrooms, soaked in water for 1/2 hour, then drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup peeled and sliced fresh water chestnuts
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, strings removed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, ginger, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry until browned and softened, about 2 minutes. Then add another tablespoon oil, the water chestnuts, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry for another minute. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, the sugar snap peas, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
Season with the soy sauce and salt to taste and serve.