- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups soda water
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon (or crayfish tails), coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper or poblano, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 1 medium lemon)
- Hot sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or basil
Sift the flour and baking powder together and whisk in the soda water to make a smooth, thick paste. Stir in the salmon, peppers, scallions, garlic, and lemon zest. Add salt and hot sauce to taste. Let the batter rest 10 minutes.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a medium deep skillet over medium-high heat. Drop batter by spoonfuls into the preheated oil and cook, turning frequently, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain the beignets on paper towels and serve with Brandied Tomato Sauce.
Brandied Tomato Sauce
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve immediately with hot beignets, or cover and chill until needed. This sauce will keep 2-3 days in the refrigerator.