- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1 cup sliced garlic
- 2 roasted red finger chiles, diced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 2 1/2teaspoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 pound fresh egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and season lightly with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture bubbles, then continue to cook until the shallots are very soft, about 20 minutes. Drain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the chiles, peppers, and nam pIa. Stir well; taste and adjust the seasoning.
Combine the soy sauce, honey, and vinegars in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat and cool.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes, then drain and rinse quickly.
Put the noodles and soy-honey mixture in a large mixing bowl and toss until the noodles are well coated. To serve, put a bundle of noodles at the bottom of each serving plate. Spoon on the chile-garlic sauce, garnish with mint, basil, and scallions, and serve.