- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
Position a rack in the center on the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 4 1/2 by 8 1/2 by 2 3/4-inch loaf pan (or similarly sized 1 pound loaf pan).
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the chipotle chile, remove pan from heat, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, crystallized ginger, ground ginger, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl, whisk together the canola oil and egg until blended. Add the granulated and brown sugars, molasses, and honey to the oil mixture and stir until just combined. Then stir in the buttermilk and the butter-chile mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just to combine. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out onto the rack.
Slice and serve warm with pear slices and softly whipped cream.